Old Stock Certificates

Old Stock Certificates

The Department of Banking and Finance does not maintain corporate records, nor are we able to research the value of old stock certificates.

Questions regarding old stock certificates for Nebraska corporations may be directed to:

Nebraska Secretary of State

P.O. Box 94608

Lincoln, NE 68509-4608

Phone: 402.471.2554

Fax: 402.471.3237


If you have an old stock certificate for a company incorporated in a state other than Nebraska, you may wish to contact the corporate records division for that state. Contact information for secretaries of state may be available at the website of the National Association of Secretaries of State. [Note that a company’s state of incorporation may not be the state in which the company was or is located.]

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) provides a variety of resources for help with questions regarding stocks and investment decisions. More information from the SEC regarding old stock and bond certificates can be found here.

For those interested in researching an old stock certificate themselves, the Library of Congress provides an online research guide: Doing Historical Company Research

Unclaimed Property

In Nebraska, unclaimed property is managed by the Nebraska State Treasurer’s Office. For questions regarding unclaimed property, including stocks, bonds, and dividends, contact:


Nebraska State Treasurer

Unclaimed Property Division

809 P Street

Lincoln, NE 68508

Phone: 877.572.9688

Email: NST.UPclaims@nebraska.gov